The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) will file a complaint with the International Court of Justice (ICJ) accusing Nigeria's government of human rights violations, according to spokesman Ango Abdullahi. "What we are doing now is to organize our evidence that would make it possible for us to make a very strong case against the government and its agencies, or up to individuals who may be ...
Nigeria would begin investing the initial $1 billion (R9.4bn) allocated to a new sovereign wealth fund by June, a statement from the fund showed, after it delayed the start date twice. Africa’s biggest oil producer is one of only three Opec member states that do not yet have a wealth fund (SWF) set up. Global markets and investors are closely watching Africa's second-biggest ...
By Sam Eyoboka NATIONAL President of Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Pastor Ayo Oritse-jafor has appealed to Nigerians to support the current emergency rule in three North Eastern states, arguing that no progressive nation would fold its hands and allow few fundamental insurgents to overrun its democratic structures with ...
National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh yesterday in Abuja accused Governor Peter Obi of Anambra state of sponsoring the latest wave of crisis rocking the party. Umeh who made the accusation at the inauguration of the 20-man rebuilding and crisis review committee as part of measures to rebuild the crisis ridden party, said the protracted leadership ...
NIGERIA is a country of distinct contradictions. Public officers make a round of the world attending seminars and conferences on health, for example. They then conclude health is important to the country's well-being. Budgets at national, state, and local government levels - are never more than three per cent of the total - truly reflecting the priority we place on health services. Most ...
Consider the following passage from Edgar Rice Burroughs' 1912 pulp classic, "Tarzan of the Apes": ...
The United Nations refugee agency said today it is working to help contain a cholera epidemic in Niger that has already claimed seven lives, including those of two Malian refugees, in a little over a week. The two refugees are a 45-year-old man who died on 13 May, and a 3-year-old boy who passed away last Sunday, after arriving at the health centre at a late stage of the disease, which is ...
With some members of the MUSON Choir also on stage with it, the award-winning group celebrated the silver Jubilee with the presentation of what many regard as the world's most popular and imperishable oratorio, 'The Messiah', composed by George Frideric Handel. It was delivered as composed in its three parts – with text from the Bible that expresses musically the birth of ...
The World Bank on Tuesday began a review of its investments and activities worth $5.4bn in Nigeria. The investments are in 26 projects and involve 200 entities across the ...
By Henry Umoru ABUJA -- NATIONAL Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, yesterday, asked governors elected on the party’s platform, who have plans to return in 2015 to start campaigns now, if they must win the election. Tukur warned the PDP governors against falling prey to the antics of praise singers, adulators and those he termed grovellers, who would always ...
BY PETER DURU MAKURDI--After weeks of bloody conflict between Fulani herdsmen and Benue farmers, nine of the suspected Fulani mercenaries have been arrested and arraigned before a Makurdi Chief Magistrate Court. The suspects, who were apprehended at Gbajimba in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State by officers of the Special Forces Squad of the 72 Battalion, Makurdi, were arraigned ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Plaza, New York City
The Plaza had two entrances, both attended by a Concierge. On arrival my car was greeted enthusiastically with assistance with ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Nigeria SunNigeria Sun –Nigeria News Online
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Nigeria Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Nigerian news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Nigerian news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Nigeria news, the weather forecast for Nigeria you'll find it all in the Nigeria Sun.
From Ngurtuwa to Lagos, the Nigeria Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) will file a complaint with the International Court of Justice (ICJ) accusing Nigeria's government of human rights violations, according to spokesman Ango Abdullahi.
"What we are doing now is to organize our evidence that would make it possible for us to make a very strong case against the government and its agencies, or up to individuals who may be complicit, in terms of the human rights violations that have been taking place in the last few years,rdquo; said Abdullahi.
He said the group has put together a team of lawyers that has been gathering evidence indicating that national army soldiers were involved in the recent killing of civilians at Baga.
"There is sufficient evidence, from our point of view, in terms of human rights violations that have been going on with a lot of impunity in the last three years or so around the activities of the government and its agencies and around the country,rdquo; said Abdullahi. "I think it's because nobody seems to really take the matter seriously to draw attention, not only to other parts of the world, to the Nigerian authorities themselves.rdquo;
But supporters of the government say the administration is mandated to protect unarmed civilians and resolve the country's internal security crisis. ...
- Questions raised over valuation dropping Guptas property price in S. Africa
- Over 7 million people now receiving HIV treatment in Africa - UN report
- Afghanistan Seeks Military Aid from India
- Coke Ad Hawks Pop Peace to India Pakistan
- Kerry Mideast Talks on Syria to Include Russian Call for Involving Iran
- Liberia Govt Publishes Landmark Resource Audit but Needs to Address Findings
- ‘Double Standard on Press Freedom’ Press Union Slams President Sirleaf Lifts Blackout
- Liberia’s Finance Minister Sets Conditions For Disbursing County Development Funds
- Career Development Is a Challenge for Liberians
- Americo-Liberians The 17th Tribe of Liberia – Part I
- One trillion euro tax evasion to be tackled says Barroso
- Housing market picking up in UK
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang calls for a handshake across Himalayas
- Government will stick to its plans when IMF delivers verdict on economy
- Sony shares boom on spin off speculation
- Richard Davis Abortion laws should keep up with advances
- Letters Consumers last word
- Letters Move to the center
- Letters Disaster vs. disease
- What others say India and China
- UK mum does house chores in her sleep
- Russia says Eurovision snub “outrageous”
- ...Analyst If true Govt must resign
- Bizarre Foods host Andrew Zimmern serves up a special treat
- John McCain Susan Collins Oppose Bizarre Rand Paul Ted Cruz Demand
- Columbus State University Implements Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Environment
- International Biodiversity Day in photos
- Will Emirates love for environment drive in hybrid cars
- Theres a Gnome at the Bottom of Your Garden
- Your Pictures The Oklahoma Tornado
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Nigeria Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Group to Take Nigeria Government to International Court
- Nigeria $1bn fund to start investing
- Oritsejafor rallies support for emergency rule
- Obi Behind APGA Crisis Umeh Says
- Ignored Importance of Health Services