NEW YORK - Yahoo promised "not to screw it up" as it formally announced its acquisition of the popular Tumblr blogging platform for $1.1bn in cash, giving the company a much-needed base in social media to reach a younger generation of users. The relaxed wording of the memo for one of the internet giant's biggest acquisitions was echoed in the memo sent by David Karp, Tumblr's 26-year-old ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
GENEVA - Canadian aeroplane maker Bombardier has expanded its leading Challenger family of business jets with the launch of the new Challenger 350 aircraft in collaboration with global leader in private aviation, US firm NetJets. The launch on Monday was held at a special event here at the European Business Aviation Conference and Exhibition (EBACE). Bombardier said deliveries of the ...
JOHANNESBURG - The National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) has granted power producer Eskom a licence for its Sere wind farm in the Western Cape, paving the way for the company to start construction of its $254.3 million (R2.4-billion) project. Sere is the Nama word for "cool breeze". The wind farm project is scheduled to become fully commercially operational by the end of ...
MUMBAI - The UK based Standard Chartered (StanChart) Monday announced plans to acquire the Indian private wealth management business of US multinational financial services firm Morgan Stanley for an undisclosed amount as part of plans to expand operations. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals. "Standard Chartered India has agreed to acquire Morgan Stanley's onshore private ...
Much like this summer's earlier romantic comedy "My Best Friend's Wedding," "Picture Perfect" chronicles the adventures of an attractive, single, late-twenty-ish heroine who lies, connives, condescends, and abuses people to get what she wants. In "My Best Friend's Wedding," Julia Roberts wanted the man. In "Picture Perfect," Jennifer Aniston's Kate wants not just a man, but also a top-level job at ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Favorable weather has helped Minnesota farmers catch up from a late start to get 70 percent of their corn crop planted. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's weekly crops and weather report for Minnesota says warm, dry weather gave farmers their best week for fieldwork yet this season. Statewide, an average of 5.1 days were suitable for fieldwork last week. That let corn ...
FILE - In this June 5, 2012 file photo, show attendees walk past Microsoft XBox booth at E3 2012 in Los Angeles. With the next Xbox expected to finally be revealed Tuesday, May 21, 2013, at Microsoft's headquarters in Redmond, Wash., anticipation for what the company is planning for the next iteration of its gaming console is higher than Master Chief's last spaceship. (AP Photo/Damian ...
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. dollar gained ground versus most major rivals Tuesday, with investors awaiting remarks from a pair of Federal Reserve policy makers a day ahead of congressional testimony by Fed Chairman Ben ...
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- U.S. stocks rose on Tuesday, with investors expected to scrutinize speeches by two Federal Reserve officials for any clues as to when the central bank may begin to scale back its $85-billion-a-month asset-purchase ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Plaza, New York City
The Plaza had two entrances, both attended by a Concierge. On arrival my car was greeted enthusiastically with assistance with ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Nigeria SunNigeria Sun –Nigeria News Online
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Nigeria Sun is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Nigerian news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Nigerian news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Nigeria news, the weather forecast for Nigeria you'll find it all in the Nigeria Sun.
From Ngurtuwa to Lagos, the Nigeria Sun should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
There's no official figure to determine its role in the Cameroonian economy but there is evidence that the "call box" business is a booming informal business in the country's mobile telephone sector.
The informal business, practised by thousands of Cameroonians in both in the urban and rural areas, entails one getting a mobile phone and a table in an open area on a street, reports Xinhua. This is linked to the rapid growth of the mobile telephone sector in a country where the first license for mobile phone operator was given to the local subsidiary of the French operator Orange in 1999.
This activity consists of selling airtime of the three main mobile phone operators in the west-central African country.
It is commonly known as "call box" because it involves one sitting with a wooden table and a big umbrella to protect himself from the sun and rains. Besides the purchase of airtime, the customers can also make calls and pay for the charges.
From ordinary citizens to public officials, the customers vary and come from all social groupings. The business has been invaded by people of different ages, gender as well as the literate and the illiterate, all of whom are seeking for a way to escape high unemployment affecting a huge section of the 20 million Cameroonians. ...
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Pistorius wont compete in 2013 due to murder trial
- Molecular trigger for onset of Alzheimers pinpointed
- Gupta family acknowledges some misjudgments made in landing chartered jet at S. Africa base
- Indigenous culture youth among key topics as UN permanent forum opens 12th session
- Liberia Did Ellen Apologize
- West Africa ECOWAS to Review Protocol On Movement of Persons Goods Services
- U.S.$49000 Disappears At Ecobank
- Draft Land Rights Policy Finalized
- I Served With Honor and Dignity -Outgoing Internal Affairs Minister Takes His Bow
- India and China agree to boost trade and paper over border differences
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang calls for a handshake across Himalayas
- Weaker yen fuels economic optimism in Japan
- Loonie advances ahead of Benanke testimony Carney speech
- Independent Scotlands economy has what it takes to thrive says Salmond
- Editorial First Amendment rumble
- Op-Ed Contributor American Global Primacy and Presidential Vision
- Letter Turkey and Syria A Slippery Slope
- A quick count for L.A.
- Prayers in public offices
- Uganda to Continue Leaked Letter Investigation Says Official
- Thailand urged to explore edible insect market
- Justin Biebers Monkey Adopted By Germany
- Chinese businessman pays record price for Belgian racing pigeon
- Tumblr Users Urge New Owner Yahoo To Keep The Site Weird
- Matt Ridley has joined the real climate debate
- Pests that bug us have their own ecological importance
- Danzer feels the bite as the FSC show its teeth
- Fallen trees damage homeowners cars
- Twitter hit-and-run boast shows dangers of road tax entitlement | Dawn Foster
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Nigeria Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- PHOTONEWS Prof. Chinua Achebes Body Arrives In Nigeria
- Enugu receives Achebe’s body
- My wife is too lazy husband tells court
- Nigeria seeks Nigers military support against Boko Haram
- Achebes Body Arrives in Abuja